Conroe Hit and Run Accident Lawyers Seek Justice for Injured Clients

Experienced attorneys apply proven strategies to obtain full compensation

Texas law requires drivers to stay at the scene of an accident, identify themselves and aid injured parties if possible. But occasionally, a driver will just speed off, either due to panic, alcohol or drug impairment or a deliberate attempt to avoid responsibility. If you were injured in a hit and run accident, recovering financial compensation becomes much more difficult. You will benefit from retaining trustworthy and resourceful legal representation. At Hope & Causey, P.C. in Conroe, our car crash lawyers have ample experience with hit and run accidents. We can help you pursue compensation from the driver who fled, from your own insurance company and from other potential sources.

What should you do after a hit and run accident?

The Texas Transportation Code §550.023 imposes a duty on drivers involved in an accident to give pertinent information and render appropriate aid. The law requires that drivers give their name and address, the registration number of their vehicle and contact information for their insurance company to any person involved in the crash. At another party’s request, the driver must show their driver’s license. A driver is also required to provide any injured person reasonable assistance, which can include calling 911 and requesting an ambulance or transporting the injured party for medical treatment.

Normally, after an auto accident, you should take these actions:

  • Get your car to a safe position on the side of the road.
  • Call 911 to request police and an ambulance.
  • Take photos of the accidents scene and damage.
  • Speak to witnesses and get their contact information.
  • Call your insurance company.

But when a driver who might be at fault flees the accident scene, there are additional steps to take. You should make notes that might help the authorities identify the fleeing driver’s vehicle. Write down the make, model and color of the car along with the license plate number or any part of it you can recall. However, don’t pursue the fleeing vehicle, especially if you are injured. You need to think first about your safety and that of your passengers. Simply record what you remember and hand that evidence to the police.

What damages can I get for my hit and run accident case?

As a faultless victim of an auto accident, you are entitled to bring a personal injury lawsuit to seek such damages as:

  • Medical expenses
  • Loss earnings
  • Rehabilitation costs
  • Compensation for pain and suffering

However, what damages you can collect depend on the circumstances of the case. If the hit and run driver is identified and apprehended, you can file a claim with his or her insurer and/or sue in civil court. But if authorities cannot find the driver, you must rely on your own insurance. Your recovery then depends on the type of coverage you have purchased. This may include the following:

  • Collision — If you purchased optional collision coverage, you can submit a claim for the damage to your vehicle, minus any deductible.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist — UM/UIM coverage pays for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, disfigurement and permanent or partial disability up to set limits. Your policy can also cover family members, anyone driving your car with permission and passengers who were injured in the crash.

Your own health insurance policy is another source of compensation for such costs as medical treatment, hospitalization and physical therapy. Our experienced attorneys pursue every avenue of recovery for you. We are determined to obtain as much compensation for your losses as you deserve.

Contact a determined Conroe personal injury lawyer about your hit-and-run accident

Hope & Causey, P.C. in Conroe represents victims of hit and run accidents throughout Montgomery County, San Antonio, Houston and the surrounding areas. For a free initial consultation, call 936-441-4673 or contact us online today.